· By Sasha LoPresti
The Benefits of Turmeric for Your Skin
When we think of turmeric, we tend to think of that delightful spice in Indian curries and our favorite golden milk lattes. But did you know that this ancient ingredient has many other incredible uses? Turmeric is the ultimate medicinal herb for its healing properties and proven health benefits – and those benefits extend to your skin as well! Let’s chat about the origins of turmeric and how it can improve your skin from the inside out.
What Is Turmeric?
Turmeric comes from the root Curcuma longa, a form of ginger that is grown primarily in Southeast Asia and tropical climates. It contains the compounds we associate with healing, called curcuminoids. Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric and is known for its antioxidant powers and anti-inflammatory properties.
Turmeric has been used for thousands of years in Eastern medicine. Its incredible contributions to natural healing have only more recently shown up in Western medicine, especially in skincare products. Brands have taken note of its wondrous benefits and have begun to use turmeric in their products to improve the health and radiance of skin in a holistic way (step aside, harsh chemicals!).
Benefits of Turmeric for Skin
- May lighten dark spots: When used long term, turmeric can help lighten dark spots and reduce hyperpigmentation thanks to the anti-inflammatory curcumin.
- Can soothe irritation: Eastern medicine has used turmeric to heal burns, cuts and rashes for thousands of years. Today, we can use it as a natural remedy to help calm inflammation in the skin due to psoriasis flare ups or other issues.
- May help to fight acne: Did you know that turmeric has acne-fighting superpowers? Turmeric has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that can help fight breakouts. It also may prevent skin cells from clumping and clogging your pores. The active ingredient curcumin has been known to calm inflammation in acne-prone skin, reduce redness from pimples and prevent acne scars and discoloration.
- Protects the skin: Healthy, radiant skin is something we’d all love to have, but we often aren’t sure how to achieve it. Turmeric is filled with antioxidants, which not only may help to combat the effects of stress and pollution on the skin, but can also give your skin a natural glow. Turmeric also contains properties that may support collagen production and the skin’s ability to create new tissues, which can help to prevent premature aging.
- Good for the planet: Amame only sources organically grown turmeric, which means that it is grown and produced in a way that respects the biodiversity of the surrounding areas and creates a healthier and more sustainable product for us and for the planet.
Side Effects of Turmeric
While we love the health and skin benefits of turmeric, it does come with a few side effects. Turmeric’s biggest side effect is its ability to stain things yellow. Avoid slathering on a layer of turmeric powder to your skin – as much as we love its healing benefits, it can dye your skin yellow if you aren’t careful. Always ask your doctor if you have any concerns adding something into your diet or skincare routine. We also always recommend when starting to use new skincare products, to test the products on a patch of skin before applying more liberally.
How to Use Turmeric
- For your skin: Look for skincare products that contain turmeric to give your skin a healthy, natural glow. We recommend adding our Organic Turmeric & Lemon Brightening Face Serum to your daily skincare routine to experience all the benefits of this super ingredient.
- For your diet: Healthy choices make all the difference when it comes to your skin! Incorporate turmeric into your daily vitamins and supplements routine to help heal your body from the inside out (after speaking with your doctor, of course). You can also enjoy a calming turmeric tea to reduce internal inflammation, improve digestion and melt your stress away.
- For your self care: A great shower starts with a soothing skin scrub. Our Turmeric & Grapefruit Calming Body Scrub will leave your body feeling nourished, smooth and moisturized. Your self care routine will be taken to the next level. And don’t worry, this won’t stain your skin yellow!